Meridith Walch

Meridith Walch

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Blog #6

4.1)   At the beginning of chapter 4, Carol includes a discussion between Charlie and his teacher, from a book called The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  I’ve read the book, and it’s gut wrenching, edgy, and sometimes over the top – definitely meant for mature audiences who are not especially sensitive to harsh language and difficult lifestyles.  But… this discussion moves me every time I read it.  Have you ever had this type of a discussion with a teacher?  Please tell me about it.


As I read the conversation between Charlie and his teacher I thought about a relationship I had with my sophomore English teacher, Mrs. Puscillo-Slayton, and still do. I didn't have a conversation per se like Charlie did but it was in her positive personal comments that I began to grow closer to her. Throughout the entire year she would tell me how smart I was and that I had so many wonderful talents. She would leave me personal comments on my assignments. If I needed improvement in a specific area she would guide me through the process rather than force me to go where she wanted me. She set high standards for me and of course I wanted to achieve them. We were a partnership in my education. She also appreciated my sense of humor and my personality. She could see what made up my core. Mrs. P. respected my religion and interests. I would often talk to her during breaks, in between classes, and go out of my way to say hi to her at a school activity. I was comfortable with her and she allowed me to open up to her.
When I returned home from my mission I worked for the school district in my hometown and got to help with the after school program for the high school. I was so excited to be able to see Mrs. P. again and tell her all my big plans and the things I had accomplished. She was elated when she saw me again and told me how amazing I was. She would point me out to her colleagues and tell them that I was always such a wonderful and intelligent student. That's what I loved about her. She was constantly buoying me up and reassuring me that the sky was the limit for my future. She made a huge contribution to my choice in education and in my continued love of English and writing. She will always be to me that "one teacher that made the difference". 



5.3)   On the bulletin board that I face as I sit at my desk in my office, I have posted, just above eye-level, the following:


Are my assignments…
·      Important? (authentic)
·      Focused?  (students know what to do)
·      Engaging?  (interesting)
·      Demanding? (challenging)
·      Scaffolded? (students aren’t left hanging)
I think this sign is helping me improve, but it’s a lot to work on.  Some things are easier than others.  For instance, I think I’ve come a long way in planning focused assignments, largely through gentle suggestions from students and colleagues.  I think the one in which I’m “better than the others” is “demanding assignments.”  Obviously, these come from Figure 5.1 on page 59.  Take a look at them, with their bulleted explanations, and list them in a prioritized order for yourself…  from the easiest for you to the most difficult for you.  Briefly explain your ranking.

Engaging
Important
Focused
Demanding 
Scaffolded

I have always been very creative when it come to engaging students into a task and keeping their interest. I've implemented raps, created movies as hooks for several topics, incorporated art, music, and always try to make it interesting based on the students personalities' and personal interests. I don't like to add anything pointless and I'm very against busy work. Life is too short to do worksheets all day and drill things into student's heads. I like to stick to the important things students need to learn while making it engaging. Next is making sure the tasks are focused. I feel like I can do this well it's just not my strongest talent. I know the importance of keeping assignments focused because there is an end goal that I want all of my students to achieve and in order to that, we all have to know where we're headed and why. It gets a little more difficult for me to make sure the work is demanding. I know I will get better at this over time and as I get to know each of my students. I put this toward the end of my ranking because I just haven't had as much time to learn how to create my assignments based on ZPD. Scaffolding has so many different elements to it I just feel like I still need some practice learning hoe to vary materials, modes of teaching support, and avenues to support a variety of learners. I know that is why this class will be so helpful to me because I am gaining the tools I need to learn how and then I will be able to do. I know that this is such an important element and I am working hard to glean as much as I can from this course to improve each of the elements needed to be the best. 

1 comment:

  1. I like your prioritization order. Thoughtful! Also, I'm so glad you had a "Mrs. Puscillo-Slayton" in your life. That helped bring about the blessing of a "Ms. Walch" YOUR students will be inspired by! 4 points

    ReplyDelete