Meridith Walch

Meridith Walch

Friday, May 27, 2011

Blog #8

A: In chapter 7, Carol acknowledged that it is hard to care.  She gives several reasons.  Which reason is most validating to you, and why?  If you don't really connect to any of Carol's reasons, explain what you believe your "reason" is.


The thing that makes it hardest for me to care is that I can't please everyone all the time. There will always be that one parent or one student that no matter how hard I try to make learning fun, engaging, interesting, differentiated, it will never be good enough for them or meet their expectations. It will make it harder for me to care because no matter what I do this person will be unsatisfied. That just makes me discouraged. I've already had exposure to this after teaching preschool for a few years. Even in preschool I've had a parent unsatisfied with something at one point or another. It is during times like these that I feel I will grow the most and learn so much about myself, a student, and/or a parent. Please let me have a caring enough heart to keep trying! : )


B: Carol offers two final metaphors, what I call the "McNurlty Metaphor" and the "London Metaphor."  Which one do you connect with most, and why?


The McNurlty metaphor made me think about my own experiences in copying a recipe given to me by my mother or grandmothers. Though I've tried to recreate their delicious talents in the kitchen there always seems to be something missing or it's just not quite to their standard yet. I really feel it comes with the years of practice and amount of love and attention they give their cooking. They have become the expert of their dishes because they've had years to perfect them and it has become second nature to them. They no longer sweat over the recipes and follow it exactly. They already know the best combination of ingredients and eyeball everything that goes into it. I feel like it will be the same for me as an educator. Though there will never be "the perfect recipe" I can perfect my recipe every time I make it. After I have some experience being a teacher I feel like I will be able to pinpoint exactly what my classroom recipe needs and tweak it accordingly. I will become an expert in certain "dishes" and I will pour all my love into my creations. I want to be able to "eyeball" what my classroom needs and being a part of something so wonderful will be second nature to me. 
My grandma makes the best bread in the world! I may be a bit partial but I'm just sayin'. It's because it is never rushed and she always makes enough loaves for her and my grandpa and then for her neighbors and friends. I don't think anything tastes better than bread baked with other loaves that are given away to show love. I have so many great memories of helping her make bread and deliver them to various people with a Christmas carol greeting. It has always been one of my favorite family memories. I want to be able to emulate her giving nature by being a giving teacher. I want to show my students that they each mean a lot to me and that I care about what they learn in my classroom. I want to give them everything I have to offer and create a partnership of learning. 


C: Read one or two blog responses from two or three of your classmates.  Then, please give a brief message of encouragement to one of your classmates based on your reaction to their response that you read.  Leave your message of encouragement on their blog as a comment(at the end of the particular blog your are responding to).  Copy your message of encouragement and paste it into YOUR blog, telling me who you are responding to.


To Stephanie Benson
Stephanie! Seriously! I LOVE the quote you put on here from Esme Raji. I don't remember reading it but as I read it on your blog I was reassured once again that it is okay to be inadequate as a teacher. We are trying our best to teach to the best of our ability and it won't be perfect every time. I don't think this could come at a more crucial time than right now, preparing for our internships. We're going to mess up. Period. But, I'm so glad to be able to aim high and do my best and have wonderful friends to help validate my efforts. Knowing that we're going to be in this together gives me such a comforting feeling. I don't know if it was this quote and your blog that got me a little emotional, the amount of homework we have due in the next seven days, or this awesome Michael Jackson Pandora radio station I'm listening to but I feel a little more confident about this whole intern experience. I'm so glad I've gotten to get to know you so much more this semester. You are just plain fabulous and I am so excited for the wonderful things you are going to accomplish with your students. You will be one amazing teacher. 



1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about what you said about the exposure you've had to parents who just won't be satisfied, and I need to give you my thought on this. It's just a belief... but I'm pretty certain about it: Parents of preschool children often strike out at "teachers" and care-givers out of their own unhappiness or guilt or unmet needs. (This is PROBABLY true of ANYONE who strikes out!). But, you can learn to listen for what the real issue is... if it's something you can help, then offer it. If it's not, just take it for what it is, and NOT personally -- and just go right on making gravy! 4 points

    ReplyDelete